Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

No one is perfect!

Hello guys!

You must've figured out by now that I am not a professional writer. That is also quite evident from my blog title, but what if you misconstrued it as meaning that I am a veteran writer who is just trying to be humble? I know that it is usually the other way round, where novices try to feign proficiency in writing, but I am just stating the possibilities here. 

I used to write small stories when I was quite young, but as I grew up, I was introduced to the demonic world of computers. So gaming and pointless surfing tookover writing and sketching. ( Yes, I sketch and paint. Quite a multi-talented person I am! *Insert a cool emoji here* ) My interest in the English language too faded, and I was too occupied with downloading games from the internet that I was left with no time for anything else. I was the only one who knew to speak decent English without making grammatical errors in my school, so I was quite complacent with my minimal English knowledge. But then I came across people of my age who knew the meanings of quite difficult words ( or maybe, I 'felt' they were hard ) that I never even had heard of. One such example is nincompoop. YES! I didn't know what that meant! *Hides face in utter shame*
                                  

                                 

Then I decided that my English knowledge was terrible, and thus I had to update my lexicon. I started learning new words everyday. But my weak memory made me relearn the very same set of words over and over again. Exasperated, I gave up. Then I participated in a Spelling Bee competition in my school, made it through district level to national level, and bagged the first prize there. But victory doesn't come easy. I had to memorize a pocket-sized thesaurus, learn the spellings and meanings of over a thousand words.

                                                         gif trophy photo: TROPHY trophy.gif

For a couple of months after the competition, people used to dread conversing with me in English. I hurled tongue-twisting complex words at them, and would often challenge them to word games. They obviously refused.

But how good am I now? Not so great! I struggle to recall simple words, and stutter a lot. But I am getting better at it. That is the main reason why I started blogging. Once I learn to properly articulate my thoughts in English, I feel I will become an eloquent speaker of the language. I am still learning to write, so please bear with me. If you find any areas for improvement, feel free to point them out; I would be glad to work on them. As they say, practice makes a man perfect. ( This does contradict the title of this post. So for the moment assume that practice helps you gain near-perfection ) I am trying to ameliorate my writing skills, and I hope you will help me with that!

Aloha! :)

GIFs sourced from gifsoup.com and photobucket.com

No comments:

Post a Comment