Pages

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Please stay, my beloved Captain!

6th January, 2015, 3:40 am in Dubai.
Ind vs Aus, 4th test match.

I switched on the idiot box with a scintilla of hope. India were fielding.
My eyes darted behind the stumps, but no! The man behind the wickets wasn't Mahendra Singh Dhoni. I started scanning the entire field in the hope of catching a glimpse of him. 'Maybe he is a part of the playing eleven even though he has not donned the wicket keeper's gloves', I told myself. The details of the Indian Squad then flashed on the screen. A gadarene scroll through the list confirmed my worst fears. My iota of hope turned into despair. Test cricket was no longer going to witness Mahi in action.

It is really hard to stomach the fact that we will no longer be able to see the childlike, brilliant smile from behind the stumps every time a wicket falls, hear the familiar but unique call of "Oyee" or witness that cheerful brisk jump in the longer version of the game.

There were 13 players and two umpires on the field, but the void left by Dhoni was evident. I could feel the vacuum. The stumps and the bails seemed to share my feelings. They seemed soaked in unspeakable misery. Their plight was heartrending. The bails seemed to utter a cry for help; they seemed to be lost in thoughts of not getting dislodged in lightening speed by familiar hands. The stumps appeared to be cursing their misfortune of not getting a chance to feature as a part of the esteemed collection of souvenirs at MS's place.

The man who had been an indispensable part of the Indian team for the last ten years would no longer be wearing the whites! It was too much for me to bear. My vision got blurred with tears and I could no longer watch the match. The reality of the situation slowly started to dawn on me. It pains me every time this decision of his is spoken about.

 It is impossible for me to bid sayonara to this man who has given me incomparable joy in test cricket over the last decade. At this juncture, I however, have one request to make.
 MS Dhoni, please don't deliver a similar blow to us anytime in the next five to six years! I will not be able to deal with another bolt from the blue about your decision regarding your career in cricket.
     
                 
           

No comments:

Post a Comment